Friday, April 13, 2012

CHRW: Meet The Member

Alexa Bourne

How long have you been a member of Celtic Hearts?
Since 2006.

What prompted you to join this chapter?
I love reading Scottish historical romance.

What are some of the benefits you favor most about being a member of RWA and/or CHRW?
With CHRW, I love how our chapter operates like a family, a clan if you will, instead of just a business. I love the extensive amount of knowledge we have within the group and the support we show each other.

When you are not writing, what are your hobbies, passions, etc?
Well, I love to eat. Then I love to exercise when I realize I’ve eaten too much. Seriously, traveling is my passion. I love moving around, exploring new cultures and visiting fascinating places. Two years ago I signed up to spend a month in Mexico to learn Spanish. I lived with a Mexican family, took classes 5 hours a day and went on field trips. It was a life-changing experience. I look for those types of experiences whenever I can.

Have you ever been to Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc? Tell us about this trip and what you came away with afterwards.
I’ve been very fortunate. My mom grew up in northern England so I’ve traveled throughout England, Scotland with family. I’ve also been to Ireland, but only once. I love it all so much I would move tomorrow if I had an opportunity! I love the food, the beer, the people, the communities, the history, and the gorgeous scenery.

9 comments:

Victoria Roberts said...

Hi Alexa! *cyber wave* You have been very fortunate to have been able to travel to England and Scotland. I'm sure you have some amazing stories as well.

You're right. CHRW is more like a clan instead of a business. There are a ton of people willing to help.

Great post.

Chicks of Characterization said...

Hey Alexa!

It's been great really getting to know you these last few weeks! It's amazing how much we all have in common!!!

I love to travel too, unfortunately my husband doesn't.
:(

Thank goodness my parents are jet-setters!!!

Wishing you all the best!

Andrea

Dawn Marie Hamilron said...

Hi, Alexa! I agree, CHRW is a fabulous clan of writers. Your trip to Mexico sounds adventurous. Good luck with your writing!

Pat McDermott said...

Ah, those gypsy genes. And the food and travel go hand in hand. I enjoy trying new ethnic cuisines, though I'm not too adventurous and don't like the hot stuff at all. Thank goodness there are Italian restaurants almost everywhere! Safe and happy travels to you, Lexi!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

How fortunate you are to have family to travel with in Great Britain. We met a wonderful couple in Oban, Scotland and lucky for us they took us with them the next two days to explore the most wonderful places. It does help to travel with people who know the area.

Your time in Mexico sounds great. Did you become fluent in Spanish? Living in California it should have been something I learned.

Fun to get to know you better today. :)

Alexa said...

Folks, while I love to read Scottish historical romance, that wasn't the only thing that prompted me to join Celtic Hearts. It was more the land, the history and the landscape. The Scottish romances were just the icing on the cake!

Alexa said...

Victoria, and strangely some of the best stories come from spur of the moment events!

Andrea, so sorry your hubby doesn't like to travel. (What's wrong with him???? LOL!)

Dawn Marie, I was TERRIFIED to go to Mexico because before that I only knew hola, hasta la vista and cervas por favor!

Pat, I can't do spicy foods either. BUT there's still a lot of other things to try. I also need to make some money before I can travel again!

Paisley, when I got to Mexico I knew very little. On our weekly field trips, classmates & friends would come over and translate the Spanish to English for me since I looked (and was) clueless. By the end of my month, I was able to listen to our Spanish guide on my last field trip. He spoke in Spanish for close to a half hour and I understood him very well. Sadly, I don't practice it here at home. :-(

Thanks you ALL for stopping by and commenting!

Renee Vincent said...

Sorry I was not in town to promote your spotlight, Alexa. I was gone horseback riding with the family so I'm playing catch up now. haha

It's great to meet you! And yes, you are so fortunate to have a mother who grew up in England. What I wouldn't give to travel Scotland and Ireland!

Thanks for letting us get to know you a little bit better and thank you as well for the great monthly posts!

Alexa said...

No worries, Renee! Family MUST come first, and well, horseback riding too. How fun! I hope you were able to relax.